Chicken Pot Pie Filing:
3 tbsp Carlini Canola Oil
4 medium yellow onions, diced
1 pound carrots, cut lengthwise, then into 1/2-inch thick slices
6 celery ribs, cut lengthwise, then into 1/2-inch thick slices
2 tsp Stonemill Parsley
Stonemill Sea Salt Grinder, to taste
Stonemill Ground Black Pepper, to taste
2 32-ounce packages Fit & Active Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
3 pounds Kirkwood Chicken (1 1/2 pounds breast and 1 1/2 pounds drumsticks)
1/4 cup Countryside Creamery Unsalted Butter
3/4 cup Baker’s Corner All Purpose Flour
1/4 cup Countryside Creamery Heavy Whipping Cream
10 ounces Season’s Choice Frozen Sweet Peas (2 cups)
2 cups Baker’s Corner All Purpose Flour
1/3 cup Baker’s Corner Granulated Sugar
4 1/2 tsp Baker’s Corner Baking Powder
1 tsp Stonemill Iodized Salt
1 1/2 cups Friendly Farms Whole Milk
4 Goldhen Large eggs, separated, at room temperature
1 cup Season’s Choice Frozen Sweet Corn
1/2 Countryside Creamery Unsalted Butter, melted
1. In an extra-large Dutch oven or stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until just tender, about 15 mins. Add the chicken broth and bring it to boil.
2. Add all the chicken pieces, return to a boil, then lower heat to maintain a bare simmer. Cover and cook until the chicken is just cooked through, about 30 minutes. Remove chicken, transfer to a large platter to cool.
3. Strain the stock through a sieve, reserve the vegetables and keep the stock hot.
4. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove and discard the skin and bones and pull the meat into bite size pieces.
5. In a large saucepan, over medium low heat, melt butter. Which in the flour until smooth Which in the hot stock and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Continue cooking until the sauce has the consistency of heavy cream, then stir in the heavy cream. Bring to a boil again, then str in the chicken pieces and vegetables until well coated and heated through. Stir in the peas. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve filling over corn waffles.
1. Heat a waffle iron to medium.
2. Into a large bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk and egg yolks. Stir in the sweet corn, then pour the liquid mixture into the four mixture.
3. Store with a spatula until just combines, then stir in the melted butter. The batter will be a little lumpy. In a clean large bowl, heath the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold half of the whites into the batter, then fold in the remaining whites until just incorporated.
4. Lightly grease waffle iron if need. Ladle a spoonful of batter into waffle iron, close and cook the waffle unit golden brown, crisp and cooked through. Check you manufacturer’s instructions for details on the quantity of batter and cook time.
5. Serve immediately with Chicken Pot Pie filling on top.
Carla’s Pineapple Glazed Ham
Last recipe on here, but plenty more on the ALDI holidays site under recipes. I really loved the Asparagus & Almonds, Kale Salad and Brussel Sprouts! Now for our hearty and sweet dish…